Cafe Alt Manager
Modified July 26th 2017
- Full time salaried position at 35 hours per week
- Salary Range $32,000 to $37,000
- Location: Basement of Simard Building, University of Ottawa
- Department: SFUO Business
- Number of positions available: 1
Key duties of Café Alt Manager
1. Café Alt Supervision:
• To set good example for the staff with regard to punctuality, attendance, attitude and hygiene.
• To work with the Business Director regarding recruitment needs, and to carry out interviews as required.
• To train new staff in methods and procedures.
• To implement Grievance and Disciplinary procedures where necessary following Union Rules.
• To promote and practice relevant health and safety and fire safety standards.
• To provide induction training for new staff, and complete Skills Checklists within their first month of employment.
• To assess training needs and provide relevant training.
• To hold twice weekly meetings with the Business Director and monthly staff meetings if necessary.
• To direct the assistant café manager and all staff to ensure that the required standards are achieved.
• To advise staff of unavailability of products, composition of dishes, information relation to beverages., and any other relevant information in order to ensure the efficient operation of the Cafe.
2. Cafe Productivity:
• To carry out ordering of supplies as and to ensure items are always in stock when needed.
• To ensure accurate cash-out and deposit procedures are followed at end of night.
• To be informed and aware of all relevant legislation regarding food service.
• To communicate regularly and efficiently with Assistant Cafe Manager.
• To constantly strive to improve the standards of hygiene and service throughout the Cafe.
• To maintain and/or implement new efficient and effective work methods and systems.
• Fill and prepare catering demands.
• Coordinate catering with the Bar manager.
3. Cost Control of the Cafe:
• To ensure all deliveries are checked in correctly and that all relevant delivery invoices are correct and processed for payment in a timely manner.
•To prepare weekly sales reports for the cafe to be presented to the Business Manager .
•To conduct weekly inventory checks and report findings in weekly meetings.
• To minimize any incorrect usage of any resources with particular attention given to achieving G.P %/Labor % and minimizing variable expenses.
• To regularly price check all beverage items bought for the operation, to ensure that we are buying at the best prices available.
4. Quality of Café Alt Service:
• To satisfy all customer requirements by ensuring that the service is constantly maintained at a consistently high standard with particular focus on regular clientele in the Student Owned Business.
• Contribute to the positive image of the SFUO.
• To monitor the café’s email account and respond to emails within 48 hours of receiving them
• Responding to voicemails left with 24 hours.
• Ensure Facebook and twitter are being updated daily and that staff are encouraged to promote the bar through the personal social media accounts.
•Developing and promoting new ideas to generate new business for the café.
• Other similar tasks.
- Must have relevant industry experience.
- Must have experience with cost controls and inventory systems within the restaurant industry.
- Must have experience in restaurant promotion.
- Must be extremely well organized and be able to multi task.
- Must be able to work well under pressure and in a multicultural environment.
- Must be creative and willing to adapt to the ever changing University landscape.
- An asset to have experience managing a team of University Students.
- An asset to be Bilingual (English – French).
*** Knowledge of the SFUO, its services, businesses, clubs, associations and activities is an asset.
To apply, send your resume and a cover letter to Francois Lavigne at email@example.com