Modified July 24th 2017
Pay: $40,000 - $45,000
Location: University Centre
Positions Available: 1
The Communications Manager is involved in all aspects of the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO)’s internal and external communication strategies. This will include collaborating with the VP Services and Communications in order to rebrand the SFUO across all digital platforms. In addition, the Communications Manager will assist with managing the internal logistics related to marketing an organization with 100+ employees to a membership of 35 000 students. The Communications Manager may be tasked with writing press releases and assisting with media relations, public relations, and government relations. She/he is responsible for creating consistent and cohesive messaging that speaks to the University of Ottawa community at large.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English or related discipline and/or minimum of 2-5 years work experience in a Communications, marketing and/or PR role required.
- Minimum 2 years experience in content marketing
- Minimum 3 years experience in social media community management in a professional capacity
- Experience with organizing communications for social justice campaigns
- Management experience is an asset
- Government relations experience is an asset
Writing and Editing Skills
- Full professional fluency in written French and English
- Demonstrated experience in editing both French and English
- Ability to match the tone of the SFUO brand across all digital and print platforms
- Experience writing video scripts is an asset
- Experience with video editing software is an asset
- Ability to build relationships with key media contacts and proactively pitch brand and organizational messaging to the media
- Ability to pitch brand partnerships to corporate partners
Digital and Community Management Experience
- Superior knowledge of social media marketing across all platforms
- Demonstrated experience in delivering social media growth
- Superior knowledge of social media analytics across all platforms
- Ability to create and manage content on multiple platforms on a daily basis
- Minimum 3 years experience using third party social media applications (such as Crowdfire and Coschedule)
- Experience with responding to comments and enquiries on social media
- Ability to deliver SEO and SMO under minimal experience
- Ability to target social media and website copy at a college audience
- Ability to manage social media accounts during periods of public scrutiny
- Ability to assist the SFUO Webmaster in maintaining an up-to-date website
- Experience with tracking website analytics is an asset
- Experience with creating and monitoring Facebook ads
- Ability to independently monitor Facebook analytics under minimal supervision
- Ability to manage multiple ads at the same time
- Experience in procurement of physical promotional materials is an asset
- Experience in sponsorship and fundraising an asset
Design and Creative Experience
- Ability to assist the VP Services and Communications in overseeing an organization-wide rebrand
- Ability to enforce the uniformity of the SFUO Brand in all designs and communications (in compliance with the SFUO Brand Guide)
- Ability to handle basic graphic design projects
- Experience in desktop publishing is an asset
- Experience in the Adobe Creative Suite is an asset
- Interest in developing more graphic design skills is a must
Management and Project Management
- Ability to mentor and supervise up to 15 employees
- Ability to supervise technical staff, such as Zoom Productions, IT, and Webmaster
- Ability to keep organized records of attendance, timesheets, and schedules
- Plan and execute a content marketing strategy
- Develop, manage and execute an annual strategic marketing and communications plan for the SFUO to span across all communication media (online and offline) and reach appropriate target audiences, based upon specific performance goals.
- Ensure all products, services, and other offerings reflect organizational values (brand identity); conduct ongoing brand management.
- Work with designers, writers, editors and other creative staff to produce marketing collateral in accordance with brand messages.
- Evaluate the success of various communication strategies and provide and implement recommendations for improvement.
- Along with the VP Services and Communications, develop written materials including press releases, Q&A, media standby statements on student or University of Ottawa-related issues as required.
- Use journalistic writing techniques as well as media forms and format requirements to write and edit press releases as directed by the executive team and submit work in a timely manner, often on short-notice for approval.
- Build relationships with key media contacts and identify opportunities to proactively pitch brand and organizational messaging to media as appropriate.
- Along with Marketing and Sales Supervisor, Initiate research, development, and implementation of new marketing programs, including direct mail, corporate sales, Internet marketing, conventions, workshops, advertisements, sales tools and other initiatives.
- Assist in the development and implementation of organizational promotion programs/marketing plans to support brand building initiatives/innovation/organizational promotions especially with the SFUO businesses.
- Assist the SFUO, its departments, businesses and services to develop marketing plans within budget requirements
- Serve as senior editor and provide communications content for web/internet.
- Serve as liaison to IT/Webmaster to ensure timely results for all communication events and projects.
- Ensure that all materials are developed and distributed according to an appropriate timeline.
- Liaison and collaborate with employee groups and departments, businesses and services as needed and help provide creative solutions to communication problems.
- Lead communications resource to all departments, businesses and services.
- Proactively provide innovation across all communication vehicles that the SFUO uses (offline and online) and provide competitive insight into its communications and branding strategies.
- Analyze potential new products/media to enhance the marketing/communications work of the SFUO.
- Oversee the development, management and maintenance of all online communication vehicles, including but not limited to:
- SFUO website
- Online social media (including Facebook, Twitter, etc).
- Other duties as assigned by the VP Services and Communications.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to the VP Finance at:
Please note that should you require any accommodations during the hiring process, you’re welcome to let us know.